What is Computer Network Security?
Computer Network Security consists of measures taken by a business, organization or other institution to monitor and prevent unauthorized access or misuse of a computer network and its resources.
Computer Network Security management approaches have different requirements, depending on the size and physical setting of the network. A home or small office may only require basic computer network security, while large businesses may require high-maintenance and advanced software and hardware to prevent malicious attacks from hacking and spamming.
Access to information and programs on the network are controlled by a Network Administrator, who assigns users an ID and password or other authenticating information to ensure that they are authorized to conduct transactions and communications across the network.
Ways to Improve Computer Network Security
Assigning unique usernames and corresponding passwords are the simplest way of protecting a network resource, but computer network security commonly includes additional security measures including:
- establishing a firewall,
- installing and maintaining antivirus software,
- using non-administrative accounts for day-to-day computer network activities,
- setting strong passwords on wireless networking devices,
- adding encryption to sensitive data and files
- utilizing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for secure communications between a main office and remote worker locations,
- having a backup policy to recover data in the event of a hardware failure or security breach,
- implementing clear employee guidelines for using the Internet to access non-work websites and sending/receiving information
- maintaining adequate physical security of the network
Related Computer Network Security Topics:
- Cloud Computing Security
- Data Loss and Disaster Recovery
- Mobile Device Security
Related Computer Network Security Articles:
- 3 Security Issues When Using Public Wi-Fi
- Tips to Secure Your Wireless Network
- Top 3 Vulnerabilities in Your Business Network
- Virtual Network Optimization and Server Maintenance
- 4 Steps to Keep Your Company’s Network Secure
- Cyber Attacks Affecting Business IT Systems and Cloud Computing Security
- Intrusion Prevention System Steps to Keep Your Company’s Network Secure
- Security Vulnerability Issues Threaten Software
- 10 Tools to Find Security Breaches in Your Company’s Data System